Laura Hemmer practices in the areas of education law, labor and employment law, and immigration law. She represents public entities and private employers with respect to employment and termination matters, board governance issues, special education issues, student discipline and student rights, civil rights, and church/state issues. Laura has represented private and public employers through the entire process of litigation and appeal in state and federal courts.
In her immigration practice, Laura works with employers and foreign nationals seeking both temporary and permanent U.S. work authorization. Laura primarily assists clients in the H-1B visa process, including obtaining any necessary waivers of the foreign residency requirement.
J.D., Washington University School of Law, 2006
B.A., Washington University, 2003
Selected Publications and Presentations
- Illinois School Board Journal, article on Student discipline, safety, and social networks
- Illinois State Bar Association, Education Law Section CLE, “Student Safety and Student’s Rights”
- Lorman Education Services, “Discipline of the Special Needs Student“
- Lutheran Principal’s Association of Missouri
- Nonprofit Center of St. Louis Public Library and UM-SL
- Lutheran Education Association National Conference
- National Business Institute, “Special Education laws Made Simple”
- Teach Illinois, “Unpacking SB 1947” webinar series
- Illinois Council of School Attorneys
- Missouri Council of School Attorneys
- National Council of School Attorneys